Skills - Foundational Skills
- Writers need to learn foundational writing skills so that they can focus more on developing and communicating ideas in their writing.
Clearly Identified Key Outcomes
Use your programs of study for curriculum outcomes related to foundational writing.
Please refer to CESD’s Essential Outcomes work if you are using the previous Alberta Curriculum (Grade 7+).
Here is the New Alberta ELAL Curriculum, from the New Learn Alberta website, laid out like a scope and sequence.
Purposeful Instructional Strategies
- Teach the basics of sentence construction
- Printing skills, including letter spacing and letter formation
- Instruction in cursive writing in grade 3 and up
- Keyboarding skills
- Look at Google Apps
- Word work
Personalization of Learning
- Assistive Technology
- Extra time and support
- Scaffolding with sentence frames, break writing into chunks
- Use of whiteboards for printing practice